To guide the country in taking new steps together to increase physical activity and decrease sedentary living in Canada, six Areas of Focus were identified and prioritized:
- Cultural Norms - It’s important to establish movement as a social norm.
- Spaces and Places - It’s necessary that physical environments support all forms of movement.
- Public Engagement - It’s urgent to drive public engagement.
- Partnerships - It’s essential to work together.
- Leadership and Learning - It’s critical to build a robust leadership and learning network to help build capacity.
- Progress - It’s vital to know what is working.
Ideas on how to use “Let’s Get Moving”:
- Municipal recreation leaders can work with city planners to create supportive Spaces and Places.
- Government policy leaders can work in Partnership with Indigenous peoples to co-develop culturally relevant physical activity opportunities.
- Private sector professionals can contribute to new Cultural Norms by reducing sedentary behaviour in the workplace.
- Post-secondary institutions can help support Leadership and Learning.
- Local volunteers whose efforts and results are shared can contribute to reporting on Progress.
For more information check out the full document at Health Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/healthy-living/lets-get-moving.html