On Wednesday, March 20, the Government of Saskatchewan released the 2019-20 Provincial Budget, “The Right Balance”. Of interest for the parks and recreation sector are some investments in Infrastructure:
- $214.7 million for required upgrades of buildings, including parks and recreation facilities.
- $9.5 million to improve and upgrade our provincial parks; $1.6 million for maintenance.
- $251.6 million supporting Saskatchewan Municipalities with infrastructure projects and community initiatives through the Municipal Revenue Sharing Program (MRS).
- $89.4 million in provincial infrastructure funding for the New Building Canada Fund
- $25 million in provincial funding for the new Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program
The Ministry of Parks, Culture and Sport Plan for 2019-20 was also released. Key actions include:
- Maintain natural areas and create safe public spaces within core areas of the provincial parks
- Support community investments through the Saskatchewan Lotteries Trust Fund and the Community Initiatives Fund to strengthen the capacity of communities to deliver quality programs and services
- Continue partnerships to reduce barriers to participation in sport, culture and recreation
- Support the implementation of the Common Vision for Physical Activity through engagement with provincial stakeholders
Ministry of Parks Culture and Sport Plan for 2019-20
Ministry of Government Relations Plan for 2019-20
Saskatchewan Provincial Budget Documents